Saturday, June 11, 2011

Alfie Boe (:


Well. If you read my list in my second post, you should know all about my Enthusiast Interest with actors, both of the stage and film. Here's a stage actor that I absolutely adore. (:

Alfie Boe with Colm Wilkinson

My second favorite character in Les Miserables is Valjean, as you should probably already know. At first, my favorite actor for the character was the originial Colm Wilkinson. He was, after all, the first Valjean that I ever heard. And then I saw the 25th Anniversary Concert, and my ears were introduced to the amazing voice of Alfie Boe. (: Don't get me wrong, I still love Colm, but Alfie has definitely become my favorite Jean Valjean. (: The following performance was at the 25th Anniversary Concert at the O2 in London, and it earned Alfie a five-minute-long standing ovation. Here's a clip. (:


So... a little about Alfie, I suppose? He was born Alfred Giovanni Roncalli Boe (sweet name, huh?) in England, the youngest of nine children. He's 37 years old now. At the age of 17, he was working as a mechanic, and enjoyed singing opera while working on the cars to entertain his fellow colleagues. A client overheard him, and suggested that Alfie try out for the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company in London. He did, and so began Alfie's singing career. (: From what I've heard, his wife is from Utah, so they live here every so often, which makes me really happy. Maybe one day I'll meet him, huh? ;) Probably not, but a girl can dream! ;D

2 comments: