Friday, June 17, 2011

Hugh Jackman can sing?!

I was not very aware of the fact that Hugh Jackman sings until a few days ago, when I saw him on the Tony Awards. He performed this hillarious song with Neil Patrick Harris (who I adore), and I was like, "Woah. That's cool." After that, I didn't think too much of it. And then I saw this headline on Google:

Hugh Jackman & Paul Bettany Could Square Off In ‘Les Miserables’

Which obviously peaked my interest. There's a Les Miserables movie-musical in the works right now, but there hasn't been much word about it since the director (The King's Speach's Tom Hooper) was announced in March. Until now. Apparently, the director really wants Hugh Jackman in the movie. As of right now (according to the article I read), he's already working out a deal with film makers. And what role is Jackman possibly going to play? None other than Jean Valjean. (:

Now, I think I'm kind of on the fence about this, but at the same time I kind of approve. Then again, no film maker is ever going to ask my opinion about this, so I guess it doesn't matter. But still. I think Hugh Jackman could maybe pull it off, from what I've heard of him. Then again, I haven't heard much. So, he could rock at Valjean, or he could bomb at Valjean. I have no idea. (: But, nonetheless, he can sing.


As for the Paul Bettany fellow, the only of movies that he's in that I've seen are A Beautiful Mind and The Secret Life of Bees. I loved him as Charles Herman in A Beautiful Mind. He's also been in A Knight's Tale, The Da Vinci Code, and The Tourist, among many others.

As for his musical history, I don't know anything about that.Which kind of concerns me. I mean, he could possibly be playing Javert. Obviously, I'm a bit attached when it comes to who plays that role. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Of course, none of this is confirmed or set in stone. This is just what's being speculated right now.

A lot of fans are angry because they want real musical theatre people to be in this movie, not popular Hollywood actors (for the record, Hugh Jackman could be considered both). In my opinion, they can't have all musical theatre actors. This movie does need a bit of talented star power for the general public to at least go see it. I think that they need to have a healthy mix of both (as long as Hollywood can sing).

As of right now, I don't really have any prefered actors to make up the cast. I've decided that I like Hugh Jackman for Valjean. I'm still on the fence about Bettany as Javert, because I haven't heard him sing and I'm not too familiar with him. Other than that, I have no idea who should be anybody else.

... Except for one. (:


Ramin Karimloo as Enjolras? Pretty please? (:

1 comment: